If you fly you are subject to regulations. If you own an aircraft you are subject to even more regulation. It doesn't matter what or how many hours you fly.
Why are you regulated? Primarily to protect commercial air traffic from you while you are aloft, people on the ground you are flying over and areas where you aren't welcome, for security or because of activity that could be dangerous to you.
Without AOPA to represent you:
- the burden of regulation on your flying would be far heavier
- you would face more restrictions on what you could fly
- it would be much more expensive to operate an aircraft
- there would be even fewer airfields
- there would be much more controlled airspace
- you would be paying navigation charges on all flights
AOPA UK is different to the other GA Organisations in the UK:
- We are totally independent of any external influence other than our members views
- We are not a quasi regulator operating under the auspices of the CAA
- We view General Aviation as a whole entity, an ecosystem in which all parts are in some way dependent on the existence the other parts. It can adapt to change over time, but not to sudden and damaging change in one part, which can be an extinction event for other parts of the ecosystem that is GA.
We represent our members directly at ICAO, EASA, EU and in the UK:
- Department for Transport
- Home Office
- Local Government
All AOPA Student, Pilot and Instructor members get a personal service if they are in need of advice in respect of any aviation related matter.
The more members we have the more we can do. With more members sharing the cost we can keep the membership rates low.
AOPA may not be the lowest cost to join, but that reflects the world wide reach we have as part of the International Council of Aircraft Owner and Pilots Associations (IAOPA). Being a memebr of AOPA adds your voice to the largest association of Aircraft owners and Pilots in the world. We are the ONLY GA organisation to have influence at the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO), which is where most regulation starts.
Support GA - Don't be one of the 50% of Pilots who do not belong to any organisation.